Southeast Indiana Has a Diamond in the Rough!

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Travco Model: 1973 220

Southeast Indiana Has a Diamond in the Rough!

Unread post by bronchero » Sat May 04, 2019 8:11 am

ImageHello all from Aurora, Indiana. Just Southwest of Cincinnati by about 30 miles.

I stumbled on to my 73', 220, about 5 years ago. It belonged to a guy I worked with's father who had passed away. They had pulled many a horse with this Unit, to many a show... Only about 42,000 miles on this one. It has been very well taken care of.

He kept up on all the fluids and their changes. He did some custom paint on the exterior, which now, needs to be redone. He didn't care for the Holley 4 BBL. Carb., so he swapped it out for a Holley Pro-Jection unit. The Point distributor had to go also, it was replaced with a Prestolite Electronic distributor. But for some reason he left the 8Track player in tact!!! and it still works! LOL...

There was only 1 shooting in it, (that I know of)! On a cool spring day, he thought it would be a good idea to open er' up to air out a little. After all it had sat closed up all winter... Sundown came and it was time to close it up for the night when he found a Squatter had settled in inside!!! This guy was in the wrong place, causing some damage inside and, messin with the wrong guy!!! He gave him every chance to leave, but this fella just wouldn't take the hint! He asked him nicely, then he demanded, he even tried to bribe him to come out!! It's like he didn't understand Plain English! So, eventually came the threat of bodily harm.... He went into the house and brought back a pistol! The perp didn't even blink! finally after many hours of negotiations he shot him right between the eyes!!!!

Moral of the story is, keep your screen door closed at all times! That poor little Raccoon never knew what hit him!!!

Minimal damage to the paneling on the wall behind the driver's seat. If you don't know where to look, you may never notice it... The inside is as nice as the outside. He swapped out the driver's seat to a newer Captain's chair from an old Chevy van. Other than that it appears all original. He even had an extra roll of material to match the interior in case anything ever got ripped or a hole in it.

When I found it, it was in Franklin, Ohio. Just 15 miles North of Cincy. It had the spare on because of a blowout a couple months earlier. It needed a Battery and a new Electric fuel pump. Got it installed and it fired up before the engine made a complete revolution! I was impressed! The brakes had frozen up, but with a little help from his 80 year old Widow and her 4x4 Dodge Ram truck, they popped right lose! $50 in gas and a prayer, I set out for it's new home... Wow! it surprised me how good this thing ran and drove! It definitely turned some heads all the way to Indiana. I remember thinking I had it made as I pulled into my neighborhood, But my surprise was yet to come! As I turned onto my street It started losing power! OH CRAP!!! NOT NOW!!! (Still, better here than on the highway somewhere, but I wasn't thinking that at the moment). Would I make it? I only have about 300 feet to go! WHAT!!! Why are people enjoying a peaceful stroll down my street? much less, right in front of my Driveway??? They saw me and realized quickly I needed them to move, as I was able to "Coast into the driveway"! This thing had run out of gas on me!!! LOL.... We're off to One Hellofa Start!!!

I have cleaned it up some, didn't require much. The roof was probably the hardest to clean as he had it setting under a group of pine trees. He had painted the roof with white Emron paint so even that chore wasn't too bad.

I've had to put rivets in a couple of the small outer doors, cleaned out the bathroom vent and range hood fan, which had become birds nests. It needs tires bad, and 1 more Budd wheel, but since I have bought this, I have had a work injury and currently not working, so It is on the back burner for now.Pushed back, but not forgotten!!! I want to get started on the GenSet cleaning and changing oil, that shouldn't require much Money, right? lol Oh, well, plenty of work ahead, But it it is "A Diamond in the Rough"!

P.S. They threw this golf cart in with the camper!

ImageImage, Image, Image, Image, Image

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Southeast Indiana Has a Diamond in the Rough!

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat May 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Welcome to the forum

Unread post by bronchero » Tue May 07, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks KB2CRK... My photos didn't show for some reason. Any Ideas?

Unread post by bronchero » Mon May 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon May 20, 2019 2:16 pm

Looks good, Not sure why the other photos did not show.

Unread post by bronchero » Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon May 20, 2019 2:42 pm

Is that a Hemi 2.6 tag on the side of that golf cart?

Unread post by bronchero » Fri May 31, 2019 4:01 pm

Yes! Hemi 2.6! lol... It has a Hirth Motoren 400cc 2 stroke engine in it. When they gave it to me, they said it will run about 60mph!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:59 am

Pretending to have a Mitsubishi engine with the chrysler hemi badge.... lol

Return to “New Members Introductions”