Tahoe Area Travco Build

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Travco Model: 270 Commercial Traveler

Tahoe Area Travco Build

Unread post by MilesMacLeod » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:23 am

Hey there crew, I was on here a few years back when I first picked up my 67 Travco and was just getting started on a big build project .. I gutted the interior right before leaving on what was meant to be a 4-month trip driving a skoolie down to Nicaragua and ended being gone about 3 years!

Lotsa adventures around north and central america .. finally made it back into the Tahoe area long enough to plant some roots and dig into my Travco now! This past two weeks we've tuned the original 318 which had been rebuilt before the RV got parked and the PO passed on. Engine carb and trans running smooth after some persistent efforts sorting through the wiring and a few issues with the elec system. This engine rebuild and overall project seemed to have been nearly completed but haulted for some reason before it ended up sitting for many years.

The entire Travco corner to corner is getting a detailed resto , I'm taking everything down to the skeleton and rebuilding it up to be a solid rig for the next few decades. I've done this on a handful of vehicles and it's a personal passion to restore well-built vehicles that have great design. Keeping these works-of-art on the road and then bringing them up to standard with modern power, safety and efficiency is my style.

I'm very excited for this process, and the travels to come .. when the tune-up is done here in the next week or two, I'll be driving it up to Vancouver BC where the interior build will start. I've been collecting old-growth cedar from the residential demo scene up there, some of it possibly 100+ yrs old. I've traveled back north w/ a collection of Guatemalan-Mayan textiles to do the upholstery with. My plan is to get the interior ready to drive south for winter by mid-January.

I have a good friend with a Cummins 4wd chassis set aside for the project, and I'm hoping to be ready to tackle it by summer 2020.

I'll be posting here for advice, and adding my own experiences and processes as well.

High-fives, links, suggestions, videos and pics of processes.. who knows maybe a connection over beers at some point, I'm looking forward to getting to know this community
Cheers!
MM

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Tahoe Area Travco Build

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:34 am

Welcome back Miles. 4wd diesel sounds lke fun as does the cedar/ mayan textile interior. Share pictures and lots of them. I will be doing some interior rehab and finally installing the TBI on Nessie our 76 Mahal. Interior do to water damage in one area and wanting a lrager bed in another.
Have fun

Travco Model: 270 Commercial Traveler

Unread post by MilesMacLeod » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:03 am

Thank you , I will definitely be posting pics here.. Ive just started documenting! what a great Travco name, Nessie! We havent yet named our 67 ... I'm pretty curious what the name will be... 8-)
KB2CRK wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:34 am
Welcome back Miles. 4wd diesel sounds lke fun as does the cedar/ mayan textile interior. Share pictures and lots of them. I will be doing some interior rehab and finally installing the TBI on Nessie our 76 Mahal. Interior do to water damage in one area and wanting a lrager bed in another.
Have fun

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:12 am

MilesMacLeod wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:03 am
Thank you , I will definitely be posting pics here.. Ive just started documenting! what a great Travco name, Nessie! We havent yet named our 67 ... I'm pretty curious what the name will be... 8-)
KB2CRK wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:34 am
Have fun
Our interior when done will be more of a Scottish Pub motif. Tin ceiling, wainscotting with Stewart and Robertson Plaids around. not much room in 27' but with the kids grown Nessie only has to sleep 2 now. The 69 dinette will be going away to go back with a couch and a hide away table.I figure it will take a few years to get her where I want her. She has made some road trips but they are now on hold until some things are finished. We were doindg a bit of work, camping and then a bit more but it is time to get some stuff finished.

Return to “New Members Introductions”