Travco motorhome House vs. Chassis Electrical

Post here for living area electrical.
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Travco motorhome House vs. Chassis Electrical

Unread post by RobC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Hey boys: \n\nAfter further diagnosis, pretty sure I am going to ditch the original converter, AC panel and DC panel and get a 30 amp all-in-one. Saw some online for under $300. My DC AC and Converter are all badly corroded. Any thoughts on the ease, viability, etc. I know I will have to reroute some/all of the wiring as each power source is in three different places but it is gutted and open so now is the time (76 with the crapper in the back: AC panel is in the bathroom, DC panel right by the door. generator in the generator area aft passengers side.\n\nAlso, the PO only had one battery in the battery box which he was using as the chassis battery. I saw a few photos here where the chassis/start battery is located in the forward driver side storage box. Did these coaches only keep the house batteries in the battery box below the steps? did they have both house and start battery in the step battery box?\n\nthere are also some connectors on the side of the battery box and some type of regulation devices under the steps that the house batteries were connected to. They appear to be professionally slathered with some kind of electrical resistance goo. I will grab some pics this afternoon and send them along\n\nRob

Travco Model:

Re: House vs. Chassis Electrical

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:29 pm

My chassis batteries and engine battery are all 3 located under the step on my 1977 model 270.\n\nI have a goo covered, house battery disconnect switch located there also.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:26 am

I did this. The original one Travco used (Progressive Dynamic) Had separate leads for charging the Bttery IIRC and then two separate 12v convertor circuits.\nI changed mine over to an All in one that just feed directly to the battery. Pretty simple conversion.\nhttp://www.travcoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24& ... 1841#p1841
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Power Convertor

Unread post by RobC » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Diagnosed the AC system using a couple of adapters to get from 15 to 50 amps (for testing purposes only) and the AC breaker box and the AC outlets all work- Yee ha.\n\nBrings me to the converter: it is the stock big heavy grey metal box. Can any answer a couple of really basic/dumb questions?\n\nThe converter has to two large cables?lugs coming out of it: 1 ground which goes to the chassis, 1 blue (I think) that goes to a module that looks like it was once screwed to the wood paneling and an AC three prong power cord. \n\nThe wall mount module has another large red lug/cable going into the floor by the right rear wheel well. \n\nQuestion number 1: Do you have to plug the converters three prong AC power it into the AC system when on shore power or generator power to send AC to the converter which then turns it into DC to run the DC system?\n\nIf it has a plug, do you leave it plugged in? \n\nQuestion 2: What is the wall mounted module and what does it do?\nquestion 3: Does the red lug/cable out go directly to the battery box or to the DC fuse box? (it is pissing down rain today and I could not get under it to find the wire)\n\nQuestion 4: where do the house batteries come into the sytem? mine are gone the battery box is an old wood ammo box and there is somewhat of a clusterf#@k of wires and cables in there.\n\nAgain sorry for the rookie questions but I am psyched the AC system works and I am currently riding an emotional high on my resto project. Next step is to diagnose the house DC system and figure out what's going on down in the battery box.\n\nRob

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:20 am

RobC wrote:Diagnosed the AC system using a couple of adapters to get from 15 to 50 amps (for testing purposes only) and the AC breaker box and the AC outlets all work- Yee ha.\n\nBrings me to the converter: it is the stock big heavy grey metal box. Can any answer a couple of really basic/dumb questions?\n\nThe converter has to two large cables?lugs coming out of it: 1 ground which goes to the chassis, 1 blue (I think) that goes to a module that looks like it was once screwed to the wood paneling and an AC three prong power cord. \nNeed a picture \n\nThe wall mount module has another large red lug/cable going into the floor by the right rear wheel well. \n\nQuestion number 1: Do you have to plug the converters three prong AC power it into the AC system when on shore power or generator power to send AC to the converter which then turns it into DC to run the DC system?\nIt depends on which convertor you have. Need to see it. Some are just supplemental, some actually route the house DC power through the Convertor. It sounds like you have one that is supplemental so your house DC should work regardless but yes it should be plugged in.\n\nIf it has a plug, do you leave it plugged in? \nYes,Always\n\nQuestion 2: What is the wall mounted module and what does it do?\nquestion 3: Does the red lug/cable out go directly to the battery box or to the DC fuse box? (it is pissing down rain today and I could not get under it to find the wire)\n\n\nQuestion 4: where do the house batteries come into the sytem? mine are gone the battery box is an old wood ammo box and there is somewhat of a clusterf#@k of wires and cables in there.\n\nAgain sorry for the rookie questions but I am psyched the AC system works and I am currently riding an emotional high on my resto project. Next step is to diagnose the house DC system and figure out what's going on down in the battery box.\n\nRob
\nNeed pics...but I answered some of your questions. I am not sure what you mean when you say the Convertor is wired to a Module. Possibly just a junction block ? More likely a Circuit breaker. IIRC the Blue wire is 12v and the black ground but I would like to see what you have before give out bad info. Does yours have the fuse panel in the Cabinet above the kitchen sink like mine ?\nIf it has the same one mine did, It charges/maintains the battery as well as provides additional DC.\nThe older Progressive Dynamics ones had the House DC go through it and it had a separate wire for charging/maintaining the battery. Post pics. If you can't post them PM me and I will load them.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:28 am

I'll see if I have a schematic for the Power Convertor as well in the mean time get me some pics.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:36 pm

RobC wrote:Question number 1: Do you have to plug the converters three prong AC power it into the AC system when on shore power or generator power to send AC to the converter which then turns it into DC to run the DC system?\nQuestion 4: where do the house batteries come into the sytem? mine are gone the battery box is an old wood ammo box and there is somewhat of a clusterf#@k of wires and cables in there.
\nOn my 77 model the house batteries run the DC system and the converter charges the batteries. If you use the DC and the house batteries get low then you will need to run the generator or plug in to charge them.\nMy coach also has a battery isolator that allows the alternator to charge the house batteries when the engine is running. I bet your 76 model is the same way.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks Aces and 77:\n\nAces: Mine is exactly the same as the old stock one you swapped out based on your pictures. In your first pic it shows a couple wires connected to a small terminal screwed with wood screws into the back of the cabinet. That is what I was trying to figure out what it was, what it did. Seems overkill for a simple terminall block and there appears to be no way to get inside it for a fuse.\n\nAnd Yes, mine has the DC fuse panel next to the door above the sink area. I assume the DC cable out of the converter goes to the fuse panel or goes to the battery box then the fuse panel.\n\n77: my clusterf#@k of wires in the batter box includes a perko type switch to turn everything off, several terminals, two of which are under the first step. Gotta say not a good spot for electrical equipment.... right in the spray zone for the front right wheel! I am already scheming a redesign to enclose all this and weather proof it. Maybe another access through the lower step. \n\nMore good news. With the Perko switch on I have dashboard lights! not all but some. means I have power to the Chassis fuse panel and it is sort of working and my second clusterf#@k of wires under the dash is working. Corrosion is pretty bad on the chassis panel by the drivers side but I am going to clean it up for dashboard diagnostics and the fact that it sort if works will make diagnosis and replacement a lot easier.\n\nThanks boys. This is a huge help and I have not electrocuted myself yet. While I know little about electricity. Safety first. I know when I am outside my skill set. once I get my brain wrapped around the system I will call in my electrician so he can keep me out of trouble.\n\nRob

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Was gonna start a new thread but your title is good so will add to this. I was trying to wire up a homemade camper and had some confusion about bonding the neutral and ground. This thread from a Sunline forum is really simple to understand and explains the ground circuits very well.\nhttp://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f71/camper-g ... 11647.html

Return to “Electrical”