Subfloor on 270

Cabinets, Woodwork, flooring ideas Wall panels etc.
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Subfloor on 270

Unread post by RobC » Mon May 19, 2014 11:44 am

As I was checking out the flooring and mulling what to do, I realized the PO had simply put 3/4 ply over the old floor which was 1/2 inch ply under some kind of beefy 1/4 inch linoleum. I always assumed these came with 3/4 inch treated ply as subfloor but I think in 1976 the tried this approach to save money. \n\nLooking from underneath, the flooring looks like new. looking down from above I can see a lot of rot particularly at the edged and the bathroom ply is spongy.\n\nI hate to say it but I am now planning on ripping out the whole floor and starting over. I read the thread about using truck bed liner and treated plywood. This will be a major job but the floor is just too bad underneath to leave it. \n\nIt will allow me to get at all the wiring, sending unit for the fuel tank, access to cut out and re-weld the storage bins (rusted out) let me get at the parking brake while standing up and will let me cut new holes and access to the holding tank.\n\nI am trying to talk myself into this. I have the space and skills to do it for pretty cheap but someone talk me out of it. I have an end of summer deadline for being camping with the family. Brakes are done, Motor runs great and my new dash project is almost done.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1974 270

Re: Subfloor on 270

Unread post by blake » Mon May 19, 2014 1:12 pm

wow... that's quite the under taking.\n\nI've been thinking about laying down some 1/2" on top of my existing floor so I can continue to ignore my couple of spongy spots.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon May 19, 2014 3:18 pm

I have spongy spots too from age/dry rot.\nThe original wood up to 1975(what I have owned) was 5/8 Marine grade IIRC.It was beveled overlap at the joints which I doubt you'd find easy now if at all. Marine Grade is what I would put back. It lasted 40 yrs....If you coat it with Poly it would last even longer. I doubt I will be alive in 40 yrs...:)
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1974 270

Unread post by blake » Mon May 19, 2014 3:35 pm

I have a 74, when I think of it I'll measure and see how thick it is

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Tue May 20, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks Boys. \n\nI could easily ignore the bad spots but the PO seemed to have placed different thicknesses over the old floor which will make my cabinet and final flooring a pain in the ass to get straight/flat. \n\n5/8 inch would be fine as long as I get a pretty smooth surface. I am also looking at the benefits of getting at all that stuff underneath to fix/coat/replace/swear it.\n\nthe rear panel under the Lav definitely has to go so I will see how that goes first and let ya'll know how it goes.\n\nAlso, any recommendations on fasteners? I don't mind predrilling but I would prefer self-tapping screws into the bulkheads.\n\n\nRob

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue May 20, 2014 7:44 pm

They look like really big sheet metal screws. I had to get them on line. I'll see If I have any left. The holes need to be pre drilled.\nDon't expect to get the old ones out. I cut the wood around them with a sawzall then once I got the wood away from them with a chisel I used vise grips.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed May 21, 2014 9:32 am

I laid 1/2" cabinet board down over the old floor in my hallway and front area. Works good for me!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:05 pm

Well, I pulled up the new 3/4 inch plywood the PO put in to discover the original 1/2 inch was so completely rotted You could only step along the frame rails. Mostly along the edged but also along the seams where they likely did not hand apply any preservative. The P.O had laid the old paneling, wall material and whatever else he had laying around down to make a flat spot and then just screwed the new ply down to basically a pile of garbage.\n\nI figured out my camera situation and will post some pics tonight. \n\nGood news, I found hacked out hole for the fuel tank sending unit and with the floor out I can \n1) scrape and paint the frame,\n2) fix the rotted out storage bin floors\n3) Chase all the f*cking rats nest wiring to their respective sources\n4) Fix the battery box (old wood ammo box hung with coat hooks) \n5) Get to the tranny linkage that needs work\n7) wrap my exhaust in excessive amounts of muffler tape\n8) ..........\n\nI also wanted to diagnose the frame to house steel connections. They are rusted but so far they look good. Most of the floor rot was below the windows on the edge. I can't wait to actually stand on the ground in an upright position while working on the underbelly!\n\nRobC

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:23 pm

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! :)

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Started the ripping process last night. Flooring came out like the rotten butter that it was. Took me about 1.5 hours total. I decided to leave the wheel-well covers and cut around them as looked fine and I did not want screw around with resetting them as they are fiberglass.\n\nThe factory floor consisted of the following:\n\n1/4 (yes 1/4 inch) treated ply on the bottom Stringers made of 1/2 inch ply over the rails and cross members with sound deadening open cell foam inbetween the strings then 1/2 ply on top of that. \n\nThe 1/4 inch and the stringers were completely rotted and the upper 1/2 inch was in marginal condition. \n\nI am going to epoxy paint 3/4 ply on the bottom and redo the whole floor. This is cheaper than $100 a sheet for marine plywood and I don't anticipate too much winter use. \n\nIt sure is nice being able to get at the frame, the wiring, welding the storage bins. The best part is work on that POS driveshaft E-brake!

Return to “All other interior”