Black water tank repair or replace?

Cabinets, Woodwork, flooring ideas Wall panels etc.
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Black water tank repair or replace?

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:53 pm

I have found that my black water tank is missing a chunk along side the hole for the toilet drain. The chunk is about 2" X 2" on the outboard side of the tank. Is there a way to repair this or am I trying to find a tank that fits? Any help is greatly appreciated.\n\nThanks \nPaul

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Black water tank repair or replace?

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Mine was busted up pretty bad and I used a product called Plastimend. it has been two year and not a drip.\nhttp://www.travcoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16& ... rt=60#p775
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:34 pm

Will Plastimend work where I am missing a piece? I am hoping to find the missing piece once I get in there and start the work. I am not holding much hope of that though as it has been through 2 POs since the bathroom was removed.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:45 am

yes but it will be time consuming. Use (nylon ??? says on the can) screen to cover the hole and just put layers on. The problem with replacing the tank it would be unlikely you'll find the exact one which means you will have to try and make something newer fit and then try to thermoweld the standoff in for the commode. The plastimend it 40$ iirc. Might be worth a shot. BTW it works awesome for fixing the window moldings too.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:39 am

I will have to try the plastimend then. The standoff for the toilet needs to be put back in as it was broken off by the remover of the bathroom. The hole in the top of the tank is on one side of where the stand off was attached. I will most likely put a short standoff and use a Fernco coupling to the toilet drain. Will the platimend work on the stand off also or will i need to thermoweld the standoff also?\n\nThanks\nPaul

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:57 pm

plastic "thermal welders" for the tank are sold by Harbor Freight.\nPics posted somewhere on this site of the welding units.\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:47 am

Well I ordered the large Plastimend Blk kit. I could not find the missing piece but the bottom of the 3" pipe on the toilet drain was threaded. I went to the store and picked up a 3" ABS clean out fitting. That should fit in the hole while covering most of it. I will use the plastimend to fill any gaps and seal the two together. I am hoping to be able to do all of this from inside the unit rather than dropping the tank. Just waiting for the kit to get here.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:41 am

OK one more question. I went to test fit the 3" cleanout fitting and the hole is a good deal larger. Issue 2 is that the top of the tank is a thin white plastic. The bottom is ABS but can the top be something different? I could shoot the guy who pulled the bathroom out because there was no reason to just rip the toilet pipe out. I am hoping it is just white abs. Until I know otherwise I will treat it as such. I am now hunting down a piece of ABS sheet to seal to the top of the tank. If anyone knows if the top is not ABS please let me know..\n\nThanks\nPaul

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:20 am

was reading an article or a plastimend nfo sheet.... CRS..\nThe statement was read as.... if acetone, nail polish remover or some other "hot' solvent will\nmake the item sticky or melt onto a q-tip it can be plastimended... IE: Identifying the pastic in question...HTH\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:30 am

went and found the article in question about indentifying plastic types... Here it is.... HTH\nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “All other interior”