Black water tank repair or replace?

Cabinets, Woodwork, flooring ideas Wall panels etc.
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Black water tank repair or replace?

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:32 pm

I quess I will wait until the plastimend kit gets here to do the test. The bottom and sides are ABS. It is only the top I am unsure off. I ordered a 12"X12" piece of 1/8" ABS sheet to use for the repair. If it isn't ABS on the top I will drop the tank and thermo weld the sheet over the hole and then plastimend the new fitting to the sheet. If it is ABS I think I can Plastimend the patch sheet on with out dropping the tank. I will just have to wait and see.....\n\nThanks\nPaul

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:45 pm

KB2: My PO did the same thing. but at least he cut the flange out of the tank. I have about a 3 inch diameter hole where the toilet flange goes. I am doing the same thing. Plastiweld 1/8 inch sheet with a coupler to the old tank top.\n\nI am lucky in that I am ripping the floor out of mine and I can get to it from the top. Must have been something about the coupler that made it hard to remove without cutting it off the tank. Who knows. \n\nOh and my PO left me a quite a "pile" in the tank. I have to clean that mess out as well. Ah the joys or RV restoration. I am still diggin' my project though!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:07 pm

AFAIK the entire tank is ABS from the factory. Atleast mine was. The plastimend takes longer than they say to fully cure so don't be surprised by that. Once it finally cured though I have never had an issue.BTW it works really good for fixing the cracked window mouldings too. One of mine was in 6 pieces and I was able to put it back together. Just do the repair from the back side only as this stuff is a bitch to shape after it cures. If you repair the mouldings from the backside you will only see a hairline where the crack was and once you repaint the trim,. won't barely see it at all.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks aces, I am not concerned with the cure time as the first trip is not planned until April. I have plenty of time to get it back together and then put the bathroom back in. Anyone have any advice on what to use for the shower walls? I am going to put in a 32x24 tub with step and reroute the vent pipe around under the step. The water lines for the shower are going to be rerouted to the interior wall. I am just wondering about material for the surround that can make the curve on the outside wall. I was thinking thin ABS sheet. Has anyone tried something like this?\n\nThanks\nPaul

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:11 pm

Don't know what it's called but they sell it in Home Depot. It comes in 4x8 sheets and is white with a texture.\nSo you are not using the Travco shower enclosure ? Building a surround might be hard because the seams may open up as the RV flexs unlike a Home shower. There are many aftermarket RV tobs and showers avalaible online if you wanna put something different in.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:26 pm

The Travco shower enclosure was gone before the PO got it. As a matter of fact The PO I bought it from did very little to it in the eight months he had it except start it up and drive it once a week and a little prep work for reworking the interior. The bathrrom was gone when he got it. I have a RV tub on the way and after I verify that a rv surround will firt in the space I will order it. Otherwise I will be going the homemade route (not my first option). On other news the plastimend is 3 days away yet according to UPS but the new toilet was delivered yesterday. I need to find a sink and fabricate a counter for it. Yes the bathroom was cleaned out.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:46 pm

shame how PO mess 'em up...(me included) FWIW.. a 74 and back bathroom sink has a flat ccounter with a seperate backplate/splash or whatever... The 75 and up have a nice molded 1 piece unit with a sealed molded in curved back splash... Regret not saving mine and my current has the flat counter. Maybe sealing the joinery with curved aluminum shower pieces from my old unit. \nI personally if possible, would look for the 75 and up bathroom sink for better looks, easier cleanliness anda touch more modern...FWIW.\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Well I finally dropped the tank and used the plastimend. The fitting for the kitchen drain was also broken loose so that got repaired also. The Plastimend worked great. As soon as it is fully cured I will reinstall the tank. I need to pick up a couple fernco couplings to tie the kitchen and bathroom sink line back in.\nImage\nImage\nImage\nImage\nImage

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:15 pm

looking good...Nice pic's ...\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:30 am

Well the bathroom is going in and the plumbing is hooked up. Had the pleasure of testing the black water tank and finding out 2 things. The dump valve is leaking by and now the parts are on order to rebuild it. The tank has an almost invisible hairline crack around the drain fitting. I am glad I ordered the large Plastimend kit as I have enough to repair this also. Upon the first pressure test to check for leaks We found a broken fitting under the kitchen sink. That is now repaired also. Time to get back out there and to work on it. Only 5 more days available to work on it to get it ready for the first trip. We leave Easter Sunday for Big Lagoon State park outside of Pensacola Fl. About a 7 hour Shakedown run.

Return to “All other interior”