Subfloor on 270

Cabinets, Woodwork, flooring ideas Wall panels etc.
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Subfloor on 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:16 pm

With the Dremel Multi or other brand, there are a multitude of blade choices including a slick flat flade with an almost razor like edge for sliding under and lifting the tile... It would/should/could work under any glued carpet (bet it's shag) as well as tile...would presume... the colder the better as it would make the glue used on the carpet much harder and more penetratable by the oscillating (sp) blade. The Dremel I have does not use all blades as "blurbed" by HF in pushing their line of blades. Better selection (for the Dremel) is at Home Depot...Cheaper way to go is with Harbor Freight as just their blade selection is cost effective...\nUsing a heat gun would, I guess, make the glue sticky in the removal process and the possiblbility of having a fast burger cookout in your living room area... Just a fleeting could be... IMO...\nBBB\nBTW... what would glycol in anti-freeze do for rotten wood?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 220

Unread post by gezundheit » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:05 pm

I like the idea about the Dremel .you may be right about the heat gun.i'll first try removal without heat.it's always an\nOption.regarding antifreeze,I understand it's widely used on rotten wood,it kills mold and spores.i have used it on an old\nCape dory trawler and after drying out with a heat guns help,it stopped all visible signs of rot growth.i then followed it up with epoxy,thickened with micro balloons,talc,etc.this is my first attempt at working on the interior and the carpet.the\nCarpet is not a shag but a low pile with a rubber backing.regards,gezundheit.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:43 pm

I gather you are then familiar with git-rot...(is it still made?) The response to the glycol answers my question... I gather it only stops mold ... An epoxy mix like as used for garage floors or basements might be (without the stones) the economical way to purchase epoxy resin mix by the gallon... At that plan of attack.. Presume the best way would be to remove the carpet, do a cursory bit of sanding and literally pour a new and hard self leveling floor...then re-carpet, wood cover or the stone no seam floor..... I am past the point where being on my knees for long or really short periods of time without some young or old woman in front of me...isn't anything to look forward to... As one who is "older and more treacherous" than the younger and more ambitious generation... I have come to the laid back conclusion and to possibly prevent hurting whats left of me that I will just pour my floor...and keep on truckin'.. And IF I do pour.... know one will really know...will they?\nPS: It sounds like your short napped and rubber backed carpeting might be of the peel n' stick nature whereas the sponge will be really touchy pulling it up in one large piece...\nFWIW: On my other unit where I pulled up the carpeting, they put staples in all over the carpet... What a pita...\nBBB\nComments?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by gezundheit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:03 am

pouring a foor sounds good,i don't see any downside except maybe weight.ditto to the staples and treachery! i'm into my 76th christmas and counting.my plates half empty without some project like this 220 to keep alive.i never was much of a decorator so this old coach must remain as near original as possible.for a lot of years my hobby of choice was old mc's,airhead bmw's mainly.built a sidecar rig too.sure miss that one.i saw a lot of guys pulling and riding big trikes.one place i stayed last winter in florida was a mecca for them,i liked flying the car,you can't do that with a trike.regards,gesundheit.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:59 am

lemme' see....if I remember correctly a gallon of water is 8 pounds...5 gals of expoxy (40) or ten gals (quite a lot) would be 80 pounds... So if I keep my tank at 7/8 full or buy lower octane gas...I will have to try to find a 125 pound chick or less instead of one of those heavy duty units...I could handle that weight...Hhhmmm have to weigh the carpeting I remove and subtract that from the weight of the expoxy... Might set my sites on a 140 pounder... Thought I was an old fk here. You got me by 2 years... My thing is still honda's (have a 1100F) and a super glide. Prefer the jap to a HD anyday...guess thats my decision when called for... a poured floor... and besides one of my sons will get it anyways...as noted... my last unit.. most of my friends are gone... sucks... just me n 2 goldens...and my 74-270...\nBBB\nThere are alll kinds of manuals for these units somwhere here... I just verified a water pump number from a member...\n I had posted a earlier list for the 440-3 and other parts. Look for the parts listing.. it was/is done in ascii txt for easier importing if wanting a printout.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by gezundheit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:41 pm

I've a couple of 73' manuals with parts numbers,let me know when you need help.how do the goldens travel,any weird\nProblems outside of the usual? Boy,I really love that breed,I think of dog and golden appears.your lucky.it's just me and 2\nOld cats,both 18 years.they were my team when I drove flat beds.lived in the sleeper much of the time,I always loved their\nAntics and personality's.were with me this past winter in florida.real flea magnets.i bought this 220 from a guy in Minnesota\nAnd drove her back home.thats always a thrill of the unknown,I'm a sucker for that,plus it's a way to get to meet strangers.\nRegards,gezundheit.

Return to “All other interior”