drivers chairs

Cabinets, Woodwork, flooring ideas Wall panels etc.
Author
Travco Model:

drivers chairs

Unread post by TexasTravco77 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Looking for ideas and options in replacing the drivers and passengers chairs up front, they are mounted on a "tube" style supports. --- thanks

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: drivers chairs

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Mines got Air seats but the lines were never hooked up. I'll try and get somepics. otherwise they make some real nice captains chairs for sure.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by TexasTravco77 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 pm

I had read somewhere someone had used astrovan seats and just adapted them, just couldnt remember where.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Just scored 4 "new" seats on CL from a 2002 Dodge Caravan.\n\n$40 and they are in great shape. No I can ditch the old crappy originals once I scavenge the mounting plat/tube.\n\nI will be welding/bolting the tube pedestal from the old seats onto the new ones and will be riding in relative style this spring!.\n RobC

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:00 am

Nice! :D

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:44 am

Very nice. I am toying with the idea of pulling the leather buckets from a 98 chrysler Town and Country I am getting ready to scrap.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 am

in my younger days... I drove a Mack (Almost all were Macks, B61, thermodynes and later supers w/an intercooler etc with a few GMC's thrown in) and the seats in the day were NOT air-ride seats. Way too expensive for road=fleet freight drivers to get them.. O/O's usually bought them.. Companies thought the road drivers were paid too much (due to unions) and would stand for the cheaper seats...or if you managed thru senority to get an assigned unit, you would/could buy your own..The seat was spring loaded and to control the "ride" either more firm or less firm was obtained by turning a crank under the seat. Increased or decreased seat loading by the spring pressure. THAT was only for the up and down movement and how much you weighed... The seat was on a forward and rearward roller system that had a notched lever on the left hand side to allow for forward and rearward leg adjustment etc. IF you were smart enough you got a tie to hold the adjustment lock open... Now you not only had a forward and rear motion sliding seat, you also controlled the amount of up/down rebound. Believe it was a bostrum, not sure but this was in the 70's.. No air then... tractor and trailer brakes were also entirely vacuum operated... Anyhow to get the pretend air ride action in the day, thats how it was done.. Then to make reality raise it's head, just remove the tie-back, and then the seat would lock and beat you to silliness as it was now "locked" into whatever distance you set. Like the current seat, but a lot of the back slapping/pounding is absorbed by hi-tech padding... Air ride is really the way to go... but if the seat desired has a mechanical forward adjustment , lock it open and be surprised at how it works... just my old observations and the way it used to be done without air...just my $.02 worth...FWIW \nBBB:\nNow on my way to beating a dead horse...\nI have a small adjustable 12 volt tire inflator/air compressor that has a adjustable setting that when it reaches that pressure, it shuts off... don't have to stand there watching it...that could/would be wired into a rv electrical system then poweres up like the big boys... (Waiting for air pressure to build up). Connected to a small spare air tank placed in some compartment and the grand finale... hook your air ride seat air line into the tank.. a check valve or pressure relief would be nice. EOS... just some insight as I do have the unit mentioned and my answer to hooking up to the air tank for an air-ride? FWIW\nBBB... Would a pic of it help?\n\nBBB... \nPS:The good old days weren't...

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:12 am

mine has two air ride pedestals with late 80's suburban seats bolted to them. they are quite comfortable. I have an aftermarket 12v air compressor and tank setup from an air horn kit.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:52 am

quick thinking and a great easy idea using the 12v air horn compressor for the air-ride source...\n..........\nMy lungs ain't what they used to be.. Kinda hard to blow them things loud enough to be heard...\nGuess I'll keep my compressor for the horns....and buy another set for the seats...\nAt Roadway trucking years ago, they placed the air horns on the driver side door...\n(So the roadway guys could blow their horns) Old trucking smart remark....\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:37 am

Now that I have my flooring out, the steel prepped and painted, its time for the new seats. to go in .\n\nDriver and passenger are from a dodge caravan. I pulled the original mounting bracket from the seat that left the forward-backward slide adjustment rails on the seat. I ditched the old one on the Travco mounting plate and salved the tube and pedestal. I mocked up a pieced of plywood to identify the bolt hole locations on the seat and to help find the best spot to mount the pedestal.\n\nI might need to shim it but I will do final adjustments after I get the new plywood in for the flooring.\n\n
New seats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “All other interior”