problem with brake lights and flashers

Post here for living area electrical.
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

problem with brake lights and flashers

Unread post by highwaystar » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:36 pm

I have a situation where both my turn signal and hazard flashers work but i have no exterior lighting and no brake lights. Verified the brake light switch is working. \n\nHowever the dash indicator lights work, the lights on the side of the vehicle and when a trailer is connected the trailers hazards/brake lights work. This is a fairly recent issue because my wife was following me the other day and they worked then. \n\nAll fuses are good, trying to follow the relay wire back under the dash to see where it goes but that has proven difficult.

Travco Model:

Re: problem with brake lights and flashers

Unread post by 77Travco » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:07 am

highwaystar wrote:I have a situation where both my turn signal and hazard flashers work but i have no exterior lighting and no brake lights. Verified the brake light switch is working. \n\nHowever the dash indicator lights work, the lights on the side of the vehicle and when a trailer is connected the trailers hazards/brake lights work. This is a fairly recent issue because my wife was following me the other day and they worked then. \n\nAll fuses are good, trying to follow the relay wire back under the dash to see where it goes but that has proven difficult.
\nClarify something for me...\nAre you saying that the dash indicators work but there are no front or rear outside lights flashing?.. but trailer lights do flash when plugged in? \nIf that's the case then check voltage at an outside bulb location. Since it's hard to believe that all the bulbs burned out at once... I think you need to find where the harness splits to the outside lights and check connections. You could also start at the trailer plug and work forwards to see where it connects into the harness.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by highwaystar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:27 pm

This was strange. I checked the voltage at the socket and they all had power just the bulbs didn't want to come on. The bulbs were 1154s. Grabbed the 1157 bulbs out of another car and they all came on and worked fine.\n\nAdmittedly I am not to sure of the difference and a google search didn't provide a clear answer but hopefully this is fixed. \n\nHopefully this will be the last hiccup. I am driving 3 hours to Canfield Ohio for a Swap Meet this weekend to sell some car parts and hope I get there.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri May 01, 2015 7:18 pm

Your old bulbs could have corrosion on them. Also when troubleshooting lights on Travco, make sure the light fixture is grounded as well. Travcos are fiberglass and prone to ground problems since every light needs a ground wire as well as power.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Wed May 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Got my turn signals working! both sides.\n\nRunning lamps still giving me fits though. I think it is in the headlight relay. More diagnostics tonight.\n\nRob\n\nI told my wife to go in and turn the cam in the steering column manually (one of the cam release tabs is broken) to test my turn signals.\n\n"I said turn the thing that is broken in there"\n\nShe just laughed as she looked at the gutted dash, gutted steering column and gutted electrical panel.\n\nher reply: "its all broken"\n\nfair enough.

Return to “Electrical”