Anyone mod rear window so it opens?

Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1967 Travco 270

Anyone mod rear window so it opens?

Unread post by NobleTruths » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:19 pm

As the title asks...\n\n1967 Travco 270. Would love to be able to open the rear window over my bed. Anyone successful in doing such?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Anyone mod rear window so it opens?

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:13 am

AFAIK...no one has... it is a kick out emergency fire escape window. A wire embedded in the gasket, that when pulled, cuts the gasket for an emergency egress. to mod this area, a thick and wide enough gasket would need to be acquired and an approprate sliding window to fit in the curved back. it is curved in 2 directions...and the only glass fixtures I know of are flat glass windows. best bet, leave alone, find smaller port holes or a slim long unit for fitting under the original. or get a unit (220,290 or 320 that has the flat back design which would more easily converted to you styling or modding. IMO FWIW\nBBB

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1967 Travco 270

Unread post by NobleTruths » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:51 am

I did not know about the wire. So cool! Odd that my original owner's manual says nothing about that. It just states to lay on the bed, and kick hard with both feet on one end of the window. Maybe mine does not have that wire. \n\nGood thoughts about the complications of the task. Maybe I will design a way for the top to be hinged, and the bottom can be pushed open. Of course, the ladder in the back limits the amount it could open. I will have to think about this.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:06 pm

The 67 may not have that kick out window. Not sure. The widow is curved so making it open would be difficult I think.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:18 pm

remembering a t-top I had installed in a bronco... \nIf the rear window was removed and kind of glassed in to the size of an after market sun roof mod, \nit would create, a window possibly to your criteria... fwiw\nBBB

Travco Model: 270... I think

Unread post by Franknsr » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:46 am

Is it possible to leave the window, seal and surrounding fiberglass intact and cut a couple inches just outside that perimeter? Of course you would have to build a pair of hinged frames with locks and a seal, then rivet the whole thing in place but it would give you a large opening. It would be a big job and definitely not for the faint of heart...

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:12 am

Is this for air-flow ?\nBoth side rear windows open for cooling...\nAnd the rear window...\nIt is designed to be kicked out/removed for an emergency exit...\nFWIW\nBBB

Return to “Glass and Gaskets”