LP and water system questions

Stoves, Water Heaters, Furnace Stove Etc...
Author
Travco Model:

LP and water system questions

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 am

I am new to the Travco 270 but I have worked on other RV's in the past. I am however unfamiliar with the furnace, stove, water heater systems.\nI have a horizontal mounted LP tank hanging midway down the coach on the passenger side. I know that I need to turn on the valve... but then what? Do I have to light a pilot light for the furnace or should it do it on its own?\nI am assuming the water heater is propane as well? Where is the water heater? From what I can tell, my fridge is electric only.\nAlso - There is a water fill at the rear of the coach but there is also a city water connection on the left side for a regular water hose. What's up with that? I hear the water pump running when I turn on the switch in the kitchen but I haven't put any water in the tank yet.\nI honestly haven't gotten around to messing with these systems yet. I am just trying to get a little heads up for when I do.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: LP and water system questions

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:33 pm

First off Make sure main valve is off. It operates just like a BBQ Tank.Crawl under and look at the regulator valve where it hooks to the tank.Make sure the rubber line looks good and is connected. it looks just like one on a BBQ. If it looks old or cracked, It needs to be replaced. make sure the copper lines coming off it look ok and are all connected somewhere. If one runs over to where the fridge is you need to determine if it's capped/plugged.\nNow, not knowing anything about the gas appliances go through stove and make sure all valves are off and furnace as well before you attempt to turn on the gas. I know the Magic Chef stove I have has a Pilot light for the oven and IIRC there is a separate valve. Make sure that valve is off. I ran into a bad thermo coupler and mine was pumping gas out into the RV. The furnace should have an on/ off valve as well. I would run out and take pics but there is 3ft of snow around mine. There is a Level gauge in your control panel which should tell you the level of propane but they rarely work. Once you are comfortable that all valves are off(Including the stove burners) then fill a spray bottle with soapy water. Have it handy. Make sure camper is unplugged and batts turned off. Then turn on the main tank valve. Open it all the way then spray around it with the soapy water. If you see bubbles, close it immediately. If not spray around ALL fittings and plugs. If you smell rotten eggs close the tank. If you see bubbles, close the tank. If you make it that far with no problem, then I would go inside and try to light a stove burner . That is the easiest way to determine if there is any propane in the tank. Assume there is until you can verify there is not.It's is just like a gun, assume it's loaded. At any point if you smell rotten eggs close the valve and evacuate. Remember you are dealing with an unknown entity that is over 30 yrs old so Caution and patience it paramount. I will try and scan the manuals later. I or someone else can answer the rest of the questions in a bit. I just wanted to get you going on the gas and emphasize safety.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Here's an older manual for the stove. 1970
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks for the info and the stove manuel.\nI crawled around and checked everything like you suggested. The hoses and lines actually look to be in pretty good shape. There is propane in the tank and I turned it on. After several hours, I couldn't detect any leaks in the system. I have not tried to light any pilot lights yet. :? \nAs far as the water system goes, I think I have the "city water" vs "freshwater tank" modes figured out. As well as the black and grey tanks. I have worked on motorhomes in the past (mostly electrical) but have never actually camped in one. :D

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Bear in mind that I have not worked on anything newer that 1976 with Travco but that said I have never seen a Travco with a grey/Black water setup like the newer ones have. With these older units it's all in one.One tank, everything goes in it. I personally like it better. Some models have the Thetford Electromagic Toilet which is a recircluting toilet. It is a nice option if you have it. If the Toilet is kinda Square and has a push button and has wires going to the toilet, you got the good one.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:03 pm

My 77 actually has a black water and a grey water tank. The shower dumps into the grey water. The toilet and sinks dump into the black water. The tanks are connected at the very top so that one can overflow into the other if needed.\nWhether or not this is factory I have no idea...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Interesting. Maybe TexasTarvco77 will chime in on what he has.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:48 am

After further investigating... \nThe toilet and bathroom sink dump into the black water tank. The Kitchen sink goes to the grey water tank. The shower is "t-eed" between the two but is mostly directed to the grey water tank.\nAlso - I also have a panel left of the kitchen sink that gives me the level indications of both tanks as well as the freshwater tank.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Post some pics. I am curious if that was factory or if someone changed the tank. These old Travco''s were notorious for having the outlet ripped off.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:45 pm

Here are a few pics of the inside water level indicator panel and the tanks under the coach.

Return to “All other Appliances”