updating the alternator?

Post here for living area electrical.
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: updating the alternator?

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed May 13, 2015 8:22 pm

I ended up putting a old fashioned 78 amp alternator on it. I had a Caravan 120 amp laying around and tried it out but the output post hits the block. This will not work. It clears on the small block but not the big block. The mounting ears are the same. I may see if I can add an extra alternator where the AC compressor used to be. I plan on running the roof AC with the generator going down the road as trying to locate a condenser and compressor may be a pain.

Travco Model: 1973 - 270

Unread post by padave29 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:45 pm

Anything ever happen with this alternator swap? I'm SLOWLY working on my '73, and I'm planning to (eventually) swap the stock alternator for a high output, so I can maybe add a few creature comforts for my wife and kids. I was even wondering if it would be possible to run one of the rooftop AC units off the engine, rather than an external generator. Any thoughts?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue May 03, 2016 3:20 am

I think the Roof AC is 110v only... Genset running, plugged into shore power or off a inverter w/large battery bank...

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue May 03, 2016 5:48 am

Nope, still running factory replacement. I did change 90% of the lighting over to LED.

Unread post by padave29 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:09 am

The roof AC's are 110vac, but they run off the generator/invertor, so theoretically, they should run off the engine - I'm just not sure how to make that happen in practice. What LED lighting did you use? Did you have to do anything special, like wire a resistor to get it to work? I'm planning to do that, as well. I was looking at those snazzy LED running lights they use for big rig trucks -- very artistic!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue May 03, 2016 10:12 am

The genset puts out 4-7 kw depending upon the model..Dont see an ac running off the engine alternator...\nFancy outside lighting? I redid all my outside marker lights with total leds and all the interior with leds.\nThey look like ordinary lights to me... But I drove semis for 40 years so the marker lights still look ho-hum to me...\nGuess with such a total low voltage draw, I could have all the lights on for 24 hours on one 12v battery...\nBTW.. I did not do the headlights, brake or tail lights.(yet) Those are still resistance bulbs.\nEach interior led ran about $14.95 per at the rv store...(prob could bash those prices on evilbay)\n FWIW

Unread post by padave29 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:43 am

Yeah, my old onan was replaced with an Emerald III 6.5 kw at some point (which makes me really happy). Of course, it's not working right now - gonna take that to the shop this week, I think. However, in the meantime, my Honda 3000i does a great job of powering one rooftop AC (which is all I've ever needed, so far). So, I guess I'll just have my onan fixed and keep running it off that, then. I may STILL put a higher output alternator in, depending on what my wife has envisioned me powering! \n\nI never drove a big rig (my brother is a long-haul trucker), but I think the torpedo-style exterior lights are a REALLY nice touch. I'm just not sure if the mounting position of the current lights will be the best for the torpedoes. It looks like I may have to position them a little further back (in the front) and forward (in the back) to get the right angle. We'll see when I get to that point.\n\nSoliciting input: I'm considering adding a power outlet or two to the exterior, for awning lights, etc. Also looking to add some stereo speakers (mine were removed by PO). I have several GFCI outlets inside, but no DC outlets, to charge phone, laptop, etc, while driving - so I may add those in key places. Any other suggestions for lighting? PO did a very good job with lighting placement inside, though he replaced them all with conventional lights - so I'll probably change those out for LED's. Other suggestions or things to consider?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue May 03, 2016 10:57 am

OK...with a better description of the outside marker lights... Yes... they will have to be set back farther.. Dont know about the holes where the originals are currently...Those lights originally are from a Mack... might be from a B-61... anyhow are popular and still once in a while.. re-pops do show up... on ebay... be vigilant...they are out there... \nBTW those are for the cab/front (amber) only.... so you only need five of 'em.\nHere is a close similar style claiming to be for a K-W... FWIW... \nA bit pricey in a way for five.. but it costs money to play...\nhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/5-17-LED-Amber-Torpedo ... W-HTH\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue May 03, 2016 9:14 pm

padave29 wrote:The roof AC's are 110vac, but they run off the generator/invertor, so theoretically, they should run off the engine - I'm just not sure how to make that happen in practice. What LED lighting did you use? Did you have to do anything special, like wire a resistor to get it to work? I'm planning to do that, as well. I was looking at those snazzy LED running lights they use for big rig trucks -- very artistic!
\n\nI used LED replacement bulbs and used an electronic flasher.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed May 04, 2016 12:11 pm

This is a link to the flasher I used. \nhttp://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industries-EF32RL-El ... _s00\n\nIt plugs in where the standard flasher goes and the wire out of the top goes to a ground. The polarity must be right at the plug for the flasher to work (learned this the hard way when i did the same with my truck, the wires were reversed.)

Return to “Electrical”