Wrong Carb?

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Wrong Carb?

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:58 am

Whew... After 12 minutes I finally got ONE plug out.... Number 8... Only one reasonably easy to access.\nTo my surprise... no way was this puppy any shade of tan... Black and carboned up as possible...\nGot to be that dam choke.... Took the plug I removed and went to parts store... This is no longer made...\nNow what????... Have a set of AC rt45 something but dont know what is right ... so many things not available for this unit anymore. What are your plugs listed as? Also did buy a set of ford #24' s but WTF is the right ones. As these are ridiculous to replace I only want to do this ONE time... pic & number is enclosed... IKTK\nOne down, seven more to go.... \nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:10 pm

Billy, the RV9YC was a replacement number. The original plug was the CHAMPION RBL-9Y . It is not made anymore either. I did however find them on ebay and got a couple sets for about a buck per plug. The RV9YC was also available although more expensive as it was listed as a Marine plug. \nhttp://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trks ... Y&_sacat=0

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:03 pm

I am presuming this is the correct 440-3 plug then?\nWill buy some asap. Thank you...\nFor some unknown reason, am returning to this screen after going to EBAY,\nIt is allowing me to "edit" or add to this post.\nMost times it doesn't!!!\nI ordered a set (from 2 different vendors) for the 440-3. will take a break until they get here...\nMaybe the skin on the back of my hands will grow back by then!\nThanks for directing me to these on E-Bay..... makes life a bit easier...\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:04 pm

I peeled my TQ apart, bought the rebuild kit and with no prior experience got it done in about 2 hours and it fired right up. I had to go back in once and reset the floats but $40 rebuild kit did the trick.\n\n\nRegarding plugs: Did I hear correctly that the plugs are not made anymore for the 440?\nI got new rubber for my rig and have the front wheels off to paint the rims and figured I would replace the plugs and wires while I can get at them.\nRobC

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:14 pm

The 440-3 used in the Travcos used a different plug from the car and light truck 440-1. The original plugs are no longer made but are still available on ebay. The replacement part # from champion is also still available but not cheap as it is listed as a marine spark plug. It is also available several places. There is a link in one of my other posts on here to the ebay listings for the original plugs.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1966 Model 270

Unread post by Fellchase » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:08 am

Well I learned sumpin today. I thought AFB was "aluminum four barrel".

Return to “Engines”