Just bought a '71 270 Mahal. What is this part for?

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270 Mahal

Re: Just bought a '71 270 Mahal. What is this part for?

Unread post by Zed » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:35 pm

Ok I found a picture in the carb vaporlock thread. I think mine is missing the bracket I circled, I will compare it with mine in a little while. I'm still unsure how this linage works, in the pic the carb and manifold are removed but the kickdown linkage is still installed. The kickdown linkage is attached to the carb somehow to take its cues from the throttle on when to downshift (if you put your foot into it the kickdown linkage drops down a gear) that is how it works right?\n\n@acesneights I read the entire thread about your carb vaporlock problems. Would you say that the new aluminum manifold is what solved the problem or was it the replacement carb? Trying to figure out a way forward since my carb probably needs a rebuild anyways and summitracing has a kickdown linkage kit, should I throw money into the edelbrock or just buy the aluminum manifold and try to find a vintage carb like yours? Trying to get a handle on the best plan, thanks.\n\nEDIT: oops forgot the pic.\n\nhttps://imgur.com/a/VzinH

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:04 pm

Just figured I would share this. A little closer view from above. I will see if I can get a side shot of the linkage tomorrow.\n\nImage

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Zed wrote:Ok I found a picture in the carb vaporlock thread. I think mine is missing the bracket I circled, I will compare it with mine in a little while. I'm still unsure how this linage works, in the pic the carb and manifold are removed but the kickdown linkage is still installed. The kickdown linkage is attached to the carb somehow to take its cues from the throttle on when to downshift (if you put your foot into it the kickdown linkage drops down a gear) that is how it works right?\n\n@acesneights I read the entire thread about your carb vaporlock problems. Would you say that the new aluminum manifold is what solved the problem or was it the replacement carb? Trying to figure out a way forward since my carb probably needs a rebuild anyways and summitracing has a kickdown linkage kit, should I throw money into the edelbrock or just buy the aluminum manifold and try to find a vintage carb like yours? Trying to get a handle on the best plan, thanks.\n\nEDIT: oops forgot the pic.\n\nhttps://imgur.com/a/VzinH
\nI would say the aluminum intake made a big difference. I still smell gas on hot days after shutdown, but it does not vapor lock anymore since I swapped the intake and I noticed improved performance and mpg.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Zed
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Zed » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:18 pm

Well since the general consensus seems to be that the Edelbrock Performer isn't a good match for the 413 in a RV anyways, I'm not sure throwing more money into it is a good plan.\n\n @acesneights 3 years down the line are you still satisfied with the performance and gas mileage of your Holley spreadbore? Can you give me the exact model number and CFM and I'll see if I can track one down? Putting work into the Edelbrock only to have it work "just ok" because its not really correct for this application seems like a waste of time and money.\n\nTook the gas tank out today to get it either sandblasted inside or use the POR15 gas tank kit.\n\nhttps://imgur.com/a/MmOss

Zed
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Zed » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:29 pm

So I took a more detailed picture of what my engine has in regards to the kickdown lever linkage problem. Could the piece with the throttle cable be the bracket for the lever but reversed? I still don't see anything like what I'm seeing in the pictures of the correct setup, something with a stud that the lever fits inside of. If I have to try to hunt this part down which it looks like I will what would it be called?\n\n\nhttps://imgur.com/a/uXyBb

Zed
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Zed » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:54 pm

Progress I think. Somehow I missed a small diagram of my setup in the Dodge MH service manual I bought. It appears there are different types of linkage for different years and/or models, I was looking at a bunch of pictures then looking at what I had and figuring I was missing pieces. I may only be missing a ?cotter? pin that attaches the kickdown arm to the carb, which makes sense since the carb is not original and the whole thing was hacked together with hardware store parts that failed right after I bought the Travco. \n\nDoes anyone have a setup like in this diagram? \n\nhttps://imgur.com/a/qsLft

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:05 am

I was going to say it looks like it is all there and it looks different from the 76 440 set up like mine. I am running a Thermoquad that I got as a reman unit. The was a 650cfm Rock crusher Quadra jet on it When I got it. It was wide open throttle to maintain 6o mph with that carb and the choke was missing. The thermoquad is an 850cfm unit and works very well. thought I had a vapor lock issue one time but the following day I had to change the fuel filter that was badly plugged up. It looks like you linkage is supposed to be sitting down in the fork on the manifold,

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:55 pm

Sorry to hold you up Zed.\n First, let me be clear that I am not a transmission expert, so the following is just to give you an idea as to how to connect the kick down linkage to your carb.\n I am attaching some pics of the Kick Down. Just to be clear, the pictures come from 3 different engine trans combos which are as follows:\n\n1) My 71 Travco (413, Torqueflite, original Holley carb {rebuilt by me}, a little tougher to photo)\n2) An Extra 413, Torqueflite, original Holley carb combo from a 72 MH that I have out of the vehicle (easier to photo)\n3) An Imperial with a 440, Torqueflite, and an original Carter carb (a bit like yours)\n\nAll are very similar.\n\nThe key is to get the rod with the long slot at the end to connect to the same place as the throttle cable, except on the opposite side of the throttle lever.\n Next, make sure that you have a light spring attached to the kick down linkage such that the kick down linkage is pulled forward toward the front of the rig. This should position the rear end of the "slot" in the linkage against the "pin" on the throttle lever that goes through the slot. Note: my return spring is temporarily missing, but is required.\n Finally, there should be about an inch of threads showing on the adjustment section of the linkage (just what I see. I am not a transmission expert).\n At the end of the day, when this linkage get pushed rearward enough during say 3/4 throttle, the transmission will shift from the gear it is in, to the next lower gear (say "drive" to "2nd") and when the throttle is returned to say 1/4 throttle, the linkage will shift the trans to the next higher gear (say "2nd" to "drive").\n Not sure that I can control the order in which the pics are attached, so look at the file names.\n\n Hope this helps.\n\nPS - See next post for more Imperial Carter pics (hit the limit in this one)\n\n
My Travco Linkage (Medium).JPG
\n
Extra 413 side view (Medium).JPG
\n
Extra 413 Side Close (Medium).JPG
\n
Extra 413 Kick Down Measurement (Medium).JPG
\n
Extra 413 Trans end view (Medium).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:00 pm

Here are the Imperial Carter kick down pics. Note: return springs on last pic are incorrectly placed, but first two pics are correct.\n
Imperial Carter side view (Medium).JPG
\n
Imperial Carter side close up (Medium).JPG
\n
Imperial Carter front (Medium).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zed
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Zed » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Awesome, thanks so much! I ordered this part as the Edelbrock never had the correct linkage installed and was mickey moused together. I am exploring new carb options but since the edelbrock works now I'm going to stick with it and swap it later.\n\nhttps://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1481

Return to “Engines”