Carburetor spitting fuel, dies at idle

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Travco Model: 1969 Travco 270

Carburetor spitting fuel, dies at idle

Unread post by notcaseywebb » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:48 am

Hey all,\n\nI'm brand new to the boards, and pretty new to Travco ownership. I'm working with a '69 Travco 270 w/ a 318, henceforth Eleanor.\n\nShe's ran like a champ for the past few months (save an alternator replacement, but I consider that almost a given). I just drove her about 100 miles on Friday with no issue, but today after I cranked her, she got a real hard idle, and died at the first stop sign. I peeped down the air filter and the carb was totally flooded, but more worrisome, there was fuel all over the intake. I cleaned it up and was able to get her to crank again and run long enough to back up into the drive with some 2 footed driving — she still dies almost immediately once you let off the pedal, no matter how gradual.\n\nI cleaned the venturi assemblies to no avail; I've now got the top of the carb disassembled (the rest will have to wait until morning) and plan to do a rebuild and adjust the floats. Aside from that, all I can think of is a) fuel pressure too high, but if I'm not mistaken a bad pump would give too low pressure, not too high, b) crud in / worn out needle valve (idk the proper term for this, but the valve that is supposed to shut off fuel from the pump to the carb via the float), or c) residual issues from the flooding — it was pretty bad.\n\nI need to do spark plugs anyway, so as soon as I know I won't foul them immediately those will get replaced as well because I'm sure it's not helping at this point. Fuel filter will probably be replaced as well for the same reason, and because I'm in there and why not.\n\nHas anyone seen this before? I read on several Jeep forums that the Carters can be rough idling and have issues, but searches for them spitting copious amounts of fuel out of the top have led to nothing.\n\nAny thoughts?\n\nCheers.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Carburetor spitting fuel, dies at idle

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Hmmm... sounds like the float with the flooding. Believe its a two barrel? and A easy disassembly. Get a carb rebuilding kit, new needle and seat comes with it. Check to see if the float is "heavy" indicating a leak ( no I dont know the weight of a good brass float) Just my $.02 worth. HTH. or slightly tap the top of the carb with a plastic hammer, float/needle might have just gotten stuck... FWIW.. It really does happen once in a while...\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:42 pm

Do yourself a favor, Find a cheap aluminum intake off eBay and a Carter AFB(Edelbrock performer)\nIt will run 100x better. My 220 had that conversion and had substantially more power. The factory 2bbl is a joke on the 318s and iirc It's not a carter...Can't remember but I did rebuild one once. NAPA got the kit. Was easy enough but a 4bbl will give it a huge kick in the butt. I forget the part number but you need the linkage adapter for Chrysler. Summit sells it for about 15$.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model: 1969 Travco 270

Unread post by notcaseywebb » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:36 am

I snagged a rebuild kit and adjusted the floats while I was in there (I also held them underwater and checked for any pinholes, of which there were none luckily). She starts like a breeze now and is back at a smooth idle. There are some backfiring issues when I let off the throttle at highway speeds, so I think I may be running a bit rich, but I'm hopeful a tune and taking care of an exhaust leak she has in the manifold will remedy that.\n\nI checked into some intakes and going for a 4bbl, but I couldn't justify the cost without trying to fix what I've got first. The ultimate goal is to do a Cummins swap so I'm hesitant to pour a lot of money and time into the 318.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:27 pm

Hmm.. Somteitmes backfiring comes from a vacuum leak. As your ride is quite old, as are the rest of the Travcos, check the black rubber hoses all over the engine. Could have cracked one while leaning on and working in the carb area. As these get brittle over the years, they do crack at the point of connections and also as they are now brittle they also no longer fit on their connections tight enough. Try a spritz of starting fluid at various points on the engine while running.... a slight increase in rpms is a sure sign its time for new and inexpensive vacuum hose.... HTH & FWIW.\n(PS: In the old day when I was running cherry bomb mufflers, a disconnected vacuum hose would make those puppies backfire and rap on the off throttle as I would pull the speed down... those days are over now!)\nBBB

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 67 270

Unread post by ryemadd » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:42 pm

notcaseywebb wrote:I snagged a rebuild kit and adjusted the floats while I was in there (I also held them underwater and checked for any pinholes, of which there were none luckily). She starts like a breeze now and is back at a smooth idle. There are some backfiring issues when I let off the throttle at highway speeds, so I think I may be running a bit rich, but I'm hopeful a tune and taking care of an exhaust leak she has in the manifold will remedy that.\n\nI checked into some intakes and going for a 4bbl, but I couldn't justify the cost without trying to fix what I've got first. The ultimate goal is to do a Cummins swap so I'm hesitant to pour a lot of money and time into the 318.
\n Hey I’ve got a66 270 I’m trying to save. She’s been sitting many years. I got the inside livable but now for the engine I know she runs but she pours gas from the carb and it looks like a dang lawnmower carb or something. I think it’s the orig. 318 anyone know how to tell by the engine vin stamps. But anywho I bought a Holley four barrel off a 82 318 that was in a Dodge Ram p-u can someone please pm or email me detailed instructions on how to do the conversion or save my carb. And after I get her running smoothly I will tackle the brakes smh\nThanks fellers

Travco Model: '71 270

Unread post by rjsdotorg » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:43 am

ryemadd wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:42 pm
Hey I’ve got a66 270 I’m trying to save. She’s been sitting many years. I got the inside livable but now for the engine I know she runs but she pours gas from the carb and it looks like a dang lawnmower carb or something. I think it’s the orig. 318 anyone know how to tell by the engine vin stamps. But anywho I bought a Holley four barrel off a 82 318 that was in a Dodge Ram p-u can someone please pm or email me detailed instructions on how to do the conversion or save my carb. And after I get her running smoothly I will tackle the brakes smh\nThanks fellers
Be sure your tank is clean, and ONLY fresh gas. I ruined my new rebuilt Holley with sludge left in the bottom of the tank.
My Chinook had that 2BBL 318. Cheap rebuild kit, filter, and drive hard for 1/2 hour with MMO in the fuel - 1qt per 50 gallons - and clean that all out.

My rebuilder Rick worked for Chrysler decades ago (and raced super stock in the 60s), and did a couple carbs for me over the years.
Tuning advice was:
T a gauge off a manifold port
start with timing at 5 adv
set the idle about 700, or less
change distributor adv for max vacuum
set the idle
set the idle mixtures for max vacuum
set the idle
Every other tank add a whole quart of MMO for 50gal gas
Use premium 20w-50 oil unless cold
wrist-tighten the base nuts, no more
use a carb spacer if there is room inside the doghouse, but a 413 industrial should NOT have heat issues.
I asked "is there any other carb that would upgrade", and he immediately said "NO - Holley and Chrysler together designed this carb for that tuck motor", and would not recommend any of his other Edelbocks or Holleys.

Return to “Engines”