Considering fuel injection

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Considering fuel injection

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:08 am

Has anyone here heard of Fitech? I have been in contact with them getting information on a throttle body fuel injection set up. They recommend their 400 hp set up which at just under $800 is their least expensive set up. It would also require their Fuel command center which adds $400. This would be instead of putting a high pressure pump in the tank and running a return line. It is supposed to self learn after initial set up. At $1200 for a complete EFI system I am very tempted. They seem to have a decent following and their products are being sold through Jegs.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Considering fuel injection

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:18 pm

after some extended research (been investigating this about a month) I just ordered the Fitech Go Street EFI 400HP System along with their Fuel Command center. $1190 for a complete self learning EFI system. The Go Street was $795 and another $395 for the Fuel command center. The Fuel set up is fed by the mechanical fuel pump and is a small sump can that contains the high pressure electric fuel pump. The return line from the throttle body runs back to the the Fuel unit instead of the main tank saving the issue of adding a return to the tank. After I get it and get it installed I will update on how it works.\n\nhttp://fitechefi.com/products/30003/\n\nhttp://fitechefi.com/products/40003/

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:29 pm

That is awesome. I have always said if I decide to keep the 440 I would do some sort of fuel injection...
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:07 am

That is where I am at. I am keeping the 440 for as long as it will run, I want to get the better half to learn how to drive it also. Hard to do if she can't get it started half the time. This is also the least expensive system I have seen and will work with the spread bore intake.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:57 am

An Interesting setup...\nLike the part about self learning and a no return line system... \nCurious...\nIf the fuel pump injector motor goes bad, \na $400 total replacement is invoked? \nSeems I couldn't find a parts replacement section.\nSure would like to get that TQ toilet off my 440 too!\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:31 am

That I do not know. I would think it is replaceable. Even so most newer in tank pumps for newer vehicles run between $200 and $500 So $4oo is not totally outrageous. I was trying to figure out a return line solution when I had read that the inline pump the sell doe not like long pulls. For the Motorhomes they recommend and in tank pump or the FCC unit which is the route I decided to go.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:05 am

Hope that unit is a exact "factory bolt on" replacement for the TQ on a 440.\nWhen I replaced my previous TQ with a Edelbrock, I had to get a \nspeadbore adaptor plate etc. I also had to order a separate transmission \nkickdown "kit" or cam setup from Summit to get everything to be a "easy bolt on".\nor the transmission could be ruined without that kickdown/positional linkage. \nDoes that FI kit com with a transmission kickdown setup?\nA lot of reality questions that only can be answered by you, \nafter your Travco 440 functional installation here on the Forum...\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:06 am

Answer to question 1. It is supposed to be able to be bolted down to the Spreadbore intake without an adapter.\nQuestion 2 is to be determined. I may need to get an additional linkage set up for the kickdown linkage.\nThis set up does not require any programming as it has a basic start up program in it. Their higher performance units require programming to match cams, compression, and whether or not they are boosted. The higher performance units are also set up to run the ignition timing where this one is not. Simple bolt on for the basic street engines and a couple hundred cheaper than anything else on the market are the big selling points of the base system.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:45 am

I just remembered That my downshift linkage came off the Quadra jet that was on Nessie when I got her. I put it on the Thermoquad when I changed over. I am hoping it will work on the Efi throttle body. I wont know until it gets here.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:04 am

Fed ex Just dropped off the system. Wasn't due here until Tuesday. The first page of the installation manual says an adapter is necessary for installation on a spreadbore intake. I will be sending an email to them about that. I think the Downshift linkage will work with the set up on the TBI.

Return to “Engines”