Engine Removal from 270?

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Engine Removal from 270?

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:09 am

There are several fuel injection kits for the 440. Some TBI and I think there are some MPFI kits available.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1972270 commerical travler

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:48 pm

An UPDATE on pulling Travco Engines: \n\nLast Friday night a friend and I took the 440 out of the 76' 270 I bought last fall. \n\nSome interesting discoveries.\nI did not want to take the headers off the engine with it in the RV, so I looked it over and decided with the cross member out I should be able to pull it straight out. One of the bolts on the passenger side of the cross member was incredibly hard to get to, and I ended up having to cut a corner off of it. BUT with the cross member out I was indeed able to pull the engine straight out with the headers on. Now that I think about it, unlike the 72', I did not remove anything with the cross member out. The 413 had to have lots of stuff taken off before it would come out...\n\nI did not trust the 4 little bolts that hold the carb down on the Edelbrock intake with the engine plate. I believe they would pull out of the aluminum, or at least stretch the threads and create all kinds of problems. so I went with a chain across from front corner to the opposite back corner. it worked well.\n\nthe 76' has a shorter doghouse cover and a smaller front opening. it also appears the under dash area is a bit bigger in the 76. (I hope the underdash AC fits in the 72'.) \n\nThe engine opening for a 76' up front is different than the 72'. its smaller. The engine hoist we used in the 72 did not fit in the 76. I recall that it was a very tight fit in the 72', But in the end we had to cut a section out of the front of the 76 to get the arm inside. I am not sure why it was like that. we could not figure out how to get it in over the engine without making the cut. \n\nNever assume you have all of the water drained out of the 413 or the 440's. \n\nUnless you purchased a very heavy duty engine stand, you will need to brace up your engine. I made some braces from some steel pipe cut at a rough 45 and welded bolts in the ends. I bolted them loosely in the engine mount holes and welded them to the engine stand legs.\n\n WARNING- Block up the transmission. Go ahead and loosen all of the transmission/block bolts. Then put a jack and plate or block between the jack and tranny and snug it up. THEN loosen the engine mounts and pull the engine out. if you don't block up the tranny it will sag. When the engine is out, the tranny is only held in place by two bolts in the tranny mount at the next cross member. The weight WILL rip your tranny mount. \n\nIf you don't take the four little bolts out of the flex plate that bolts up to the torque converter, it will come out with the engine... \n\nThis is the second engine I've pulled. Both of them took about 3 hours. I am not sure why it takes that long. it seems like it shouldn't take very long, but most of the bolts fought us every step of the way.\n\nI will post more if I think of any.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1972270 commerical travler

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:31 pm

The 76 Travco Parts Donor. Next the axles. Then drag it out back. notice the "notch" we had to cut in the front. it frustrated me that we had to cut it like that. even though I am using this RV for parts I was carful to save that notch so I can graft it back in someday if I need too... Why? I'll never put it back in place but it seemed to be somehow wrong to just hack it all up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:40 am

Thanks for the updates!

Return to “Engines”