Oil Pressure Gauge

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Oil Pressure Gauge

Unread post by RobC » Wed May 24, 2017 12:34 pm

I ditched all my dash gauges ( I got tired of farting around with the 5 volt mechanical regulator.\n\nQuestion on oil gauge: The OEM looks like it just sends an electrical signal to the gauge (bell shaped thing on the back of the block. driver side top). The aftermarket one I bought has a long 1/8 inch plastic tube that sends air or oil to the dash. Does this new kind mount to the same location as OEM one or the plug that is opposite the OEM on the passenger side? \n\nAll the hot rod guys have the new kind with the hose.\n\n\nAlso, do I need to drain my coolant to put a new temp sensor in. The location of the temp sensor looks like a major pain to replace it.\n\n\nRobC

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed May 24, 2017 1:23 pm

The tubing can be put to the plug opposite the sender. Word of warning, keep a close eye on that tube. Mine sprung a leak on the road last year on top of the engine and I did not realize it until the oil got low and the gauge started dropping off. I am replacing the mechanical with another electric sender unit. The temp sender on a 440 is easy to get to if you have the radiator out. Yeas the coolant needs to be drained below the sender or it will drain itself.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1966 Model 270

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge

Unread post by Fellchase » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Had trouble with my original OEM mechanical oil gauge (leak yuck). \nBought electric sending unit for gauge and hooked to a new factory OEM electric gauge. \n...works fine. \nExcept the electric does have a delay..not as fast acting as the mechanical. \nWorried about that so I installed a Tee at the block and hooked up second sending unit, this one made for lamp. \nInstalled a red oil pressure idiot light in dash. \nNow I have redundant system... gauge and light. I like that.

Return to “Engines”