Just bought my first 270 67 or 6something

Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 67 270

Just bought my first 270 67 or 6something

Unread post by ryemadd » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:45 am

Hello all,\nI'm in the Bay area (San Francisco) I just bought my first travco. So of coarse I've been doing tons of research. As I plan to make this my wife and myselfsshome. Actually tomorrow I'm Installing laminate flooring and going to poke around and get a good feel of her. As I plan on moving in next week. She is parked at my now friends property which he rents half of the place out as a mechanic shop. Which I just started working for. She doesn't run as of yet. All I know is she has 2009 tags on her and my new buddy Lou the mechanic said she started up and puttered for a few seconds then popped and died...so I'm hopeful. So please any pointers,words of wisdom, warnings, anything is helpful.amd if any knows where a donor travco is around Bay area or NorCal or Calif for that matter please let me know.\nThanks\nRye

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Just bought my first 270 67 or 6something

Unread post by ryemadd » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 am

PS\nShe has shifter not push button shifter. So what's that mean. And where can I get door, window, floor and wall dimensions at??? And I need rear tail light covers....\nThx

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 am

Shifter was standard after 65 or 66. Rear tail lights that are the right size might be easier to find than the covers for the originals but the Yankee light company made the originals. Window and door dimensions would mean measuring the ones that are there.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:19 am

I wonder the condition of the brakes and tires? Does it have split rims? Post up a few pics when you can.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by ryemadd » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 am

Will post pics tomorrow. Very excited. She's a beaut. No I'm pretty sure they aren't split and tires have very good thread, not much dry rotted cracking. The fridge is the smaller electric/ Lp one. No bed, no stove, missing some trim. I got the underlayment down today, and tried to tackle the laminate plank fuox hard wood, but it's used and a variety of different kinds so I wasn't able to get it down, probably buying new tomorrow at my place of employment. What should I look for on trying to start her tomorrow? Any tips? What's the main ailments of a late 60s travco that's set for 5 to 9 years. Motor wise.... And what about the brakes... Any suggestions? My 270 has the driver's side bathroom. The toilet sits to the right no sink just shower head but I'm guessing it doubles. And under my master bed there is a damned good looking fresh water tank a relatively new and big Genny. But no pump. Where is the starting battery and the living area battery locations? Any help is so very much appreciate d. Pics tomorrow evening at latest. \nMuch thanks \nAnd glad to be here

Travco Model: 1969 Travco 2+2 Mahal

Unread post by bordoms » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 am

When working on your front brakes make sure you don't give up your cores until you know that the shoes you bought fit!! You might have to have the shoes relined.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by ryemadd » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:05 pm

A few poorly shot photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 am

Yep, those quad headlight would indicate a 68 and older 270. My favorite body style!

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by ryemadd » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 am

Thank you very very much. Please any and all information will be tremendously helpful and appreciated. I'm going to fire her up tomorrow. Just finished hardwood floors today well faux laminate. But I got real red Tennessee cedar planks for walls. It's suitin' as I'm a hillbilly straight out of a holler in East Tennessee. Haha. But I'm a newbie here on travcos but as I've been told by the shop that my lil gal is parked at that actually just hired me on part time, I'm a pretty skilled mechanic. Can at least change my own oil with the help of YouTube hahahahaha. Love this forum. And thank all of you. Who's down for a travco caravan this summer west coast to East coast. Jump in or jump off whenever, wherever

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by ryemadd » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:42 pm

77Travco wrote:Yep, those quad headlight would indicate a 68 and older 270. My favorite body style!
\nWHAT OTHER THINGS WOULD INDICATE THAT BODY STYLE THE SUPPOSED TITLE SAYS 66...LOOK AT MY NEW HELPPPP MEE POSTY

Return to “Travco 270”