1972 Travco rebuild and Cummings swap.

Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 76 270 2+2 & 76 270

Re: 1972 Travco rebuild and Cummings swap.

Unread post by ontheroad » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:44 pm

I didn't know the ratio. I just looked it up and it's a 5.375. And I found out that they do offer a 3.90, so if I get it, I will be doing a gear swap. Yes, I plan on using the front end and all the trimmings, springs, mounts, etc. I know that my spring bushings, kingpins, tie rods, etc, are shot. Not a 100% right now, but I think I will just unbolt the spring mounts off the frame of the Isuzu and unbolt the mounts off the Travco and drill a million new holes and mount it all right back on.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1972 270

Unread post by Kckalden » Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Yea I am moving slow with this project but here is an update. I spent some time a few weeks ago taking out the floor under the bunk. Good thing I did as I found a lot of rot and carpenter ants. I also picked up a newer fridge and installed it. \n\nI was about to reinstall the cabinets when I decided to stop until I have the new running gear under it just in case the taller tires require me to modify the wheel wells. I decided on keeping the Cummins Allison set up from the donor and planned to change out the 3.73:1 gears to 3.54:1 and run 9R22.5 tires. This is the best I can do given the Dana 70 hd axle and 6 lug hubs. This combination would let me cruise at 70 mph though running higher rpms than I like. But wait one minute.\n\nI took the rear axle out of the donor motorhome and took it apart. I had a hard time getting numbers to match that and my pinion spline count was off. Could it be? It was! The axle was not a Dana 70 hd but rather a Dana 80. This gave me more options on gearing and that afternoon after consulting with Summit racing’s tech support and Dana I ordered 3.31:1 gears. This means even lower rpms at cruising speeds. The Allison has a lot lower gears in 1,2,3rd so I should not have a problem with giddy up and go.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Kckalden » Thu May 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Yea I am moving slow with this project but here is an update. I spent some time a few weeks ago taking out the floor under the bunk. Good thing I did as I found a lot of rot and carpenter ants. I also picked up a newer fridge and installed it. \n\nI was about to reinstall the cabinets when I decided to stop until I have the new running gear under it just in case the taller tires require me to modify the wheel wells. I decided on keeping the Cummins Allison set up from the donor and planned to change out the 3.73:1 gears to 3.54:1 and run 9R22.5 tires. This is the best I can do given the Dana 70 hd axle and 6 lug hubs. This combination would let me cruise at 70 mph though running higher rpms than I like. But wait one minute.\n\nI took the rear axle out of the donor motorhome and took it apart. I had a hard time getting numbers to match that and my pinion spline count was off. Could it be? It was! The axle was not a Dana 70 hd but rather a Dana 80. This gave me more options on gearing and that afternoon after consulting with Summit racing’s tech support and Dana I ordered 3.31:1 gears. This means even lower rpms at cruising speeds. The Allison has a lot lower gears in 1,2,3rd so I should not have a problem with giddy up and go.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Kckalden » Thu May 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Kckalden » Tue May 22, 2018 12:51 pm

I got one for sale

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Kckalden » Tue May 29, 2018 7:14 pm

I changed out the ring and pinion giving it a 3.31:1 ration. I took the rear out and when doing so realized there was a 3/4 lift block under the right hand spring. I assumed there was one on the other side and when I put the new axle under could only find one block. After searching the shop I came to the conclusion that only one side had a block. Compensating for the generator? \n\nUnfortunately I did not realize the spring perches for the Dana 80 are wider and it was not until I wrestled it in place did I discovered this. Today I made the 80 mile trip to Summit Racing in Arlington figuring they would have perches, lift blocks etc. nope! It appears no one makes perches for the 4 inch tubes on the Dana 70hd and 80s. They grind them out. Also the blocks are a lot smaller with 9/16 locator pins instead of the 5/8 pin used on my Travco. I will make blocks out of some plate I have and use the old perches from the travco axle. \n\nI would love to post pics but won’t take up time to shrike my files to meet this forums requirements.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Kckalden » Thu May 31, 2018 5:10 pm

Yesterday and today I swapped perches from the Travco axle to the donor axle. I made two 1 1/4 lift blocks and put the new rear end in. It looks good with those 9r22.5s. I will have watch the brackets behind the tires to make sure there are no clearance problems. They are at around 10:30 and 4 inches away. I also had to drill out the hanger brackets as my new u bolts are 5/8s in and the travco wre 9/16? Tomorrow I will put the front end on blocks and start scratching my head as to how I wand to tackle swapping the axle and engine and trans.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 76 270 2+2 & 76 270

Unread post by ontheroad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:59 am

I am just finishing up my axle swap as well. When I took out the Travco rear end it had a 1" lift block(homemade) under the drivers side spring and a 3/4"(store bought) lift block under the passenger side. I was thinking it had the taller one on the drivers because of the water tank. lol. I will post some pics next week of my axle sway on the 270 in minnesota. I should be test driving it in a couple days(as soon as the driveshaft comes back from the shop).

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Kckalden » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Cool. I took the front axle out today.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Kckalden » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:26 pm

I made a dolly to roll the engine and transmission in place. After wiggling it in place I discovered that If the engine were to sit in the existiting mount brackets fan would be where the radiator should go. Therefore I will cut out the back of the doghouse and floor and move the engine back. I will use the truck mounting brackets that were originally on the Cummins/Allison set up. Meaning mounts on the flywheel housing and one below the balancer. The tranny did not have a mount. The Travco is getting a total restoration and the interior is gutted so cutting up the floor will not be a problem. Tomorrow I will make a template of the rear mounts out of 3/8 plate and once I get the engine where I want it I will use it to cut the holes in the frame with a plasma cutter. (The drivers side storage compartment is in the way of getting a drill to the frame.) I will also need to notch out the drivers side floor to make room for the fuel shut on th P style injector pump. I am trying to put pictures in photo bucket. How do I link them to this page?

Return to “Travco 270”