TravcoForum.com

Travco Classic Motorhome Support & Discussion Forum

Skip to content

Change font size

Board index » Travco Motor Homes » Travco 270

Re: 1972 Travco rebuild and Cummings swap.

Unread postby Kckalden on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Cool. I took the front axle out today.
Kckalden
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Travco Model: 1972 270

Unread postby rjsdotorg on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:41 am

On the stock 70HD axle, anyone know the part # for a repair sleeve?
rjsdotorg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Kckalden on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:26 pm

I made a dolly to roll the engine and transmission in place. After wiggling it in place I discovered that If the engine were to sit in the existiting mount brackets fan would be where the radiator should go. Therefore I will cut out the back of the doghouse and floor and move the engine back. I will use the truck mounting brackets that were originally on the Cummins/Allison set up. Meaning mounts on the flywheel housing and one below the balancer. The tranny did not have a mount. The Travco is getting a total restoration and the interior is gutted so cutting up the floor will not be a problem. Tomorrow I will make a template of the rear mounts out of 3/8 plate and once I get the engine where I want it I will use it to cut the holes in the frame with a plasma cutter. (The drivers side storage compartment is in the way of getting a drill to the frame.) I will also need to notch out the drivers side floor to make room for the fuel shut on th P style injector pump. I am trying to put pictures in photo bucket. How do I link them to this page?
Kckalden
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby rjsdotorg on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Or ditch the mechanical fan and add electric fan(s) in front
rjsdotorg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Kckalden on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 pm

I like the idea of leaving some room up front. I either need to fabricate transmission mounts or install the Oshkosh mounts. So either way.
Kckalden
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby rjsdotorg on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 pm

A friend installed a 16" fan on his 56 Chevy farm truck - quieter and warms up faster.
rjsdotorg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Kckalden on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:45 pm

Engine is bolted in place. Starting to study the wiring and radiator routing. Will install hydro boost before before putting the front axle in.
Kckalden
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Kckalden on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:54 am

Just an update. Cummins and Allison are in place. I have been butchering the front to fit the larger Oshkosh radiaor and intercooler. Also changed direction and have been re wiring the coach. House electric will be supplied by batteries under the rear bed. I ran a single cable forward to a solinoid in order to charge the house bank while driving. I am also building a starter battery compartment under the step. I ripped out some bad spots in the floor under the bed and put in PT plywood. The tail light have let water leak in and rot the floor so I trimmed the foam around the tail lights to make a trough and drilled a hole under the tail light to allow any water to weep back out. Then I glassed the trough. I also glassed the floor where the power cable stores and drilled a weep hole in it. The plumbing was replaced with PEX. The bathroom has a new corian countertop and I am making the vanity.

I pulled out the windows and am replacing the gaskets. But first I am sanding and painting around the window frames.

The plan for the interior walls is green vinyl with a foam backing glued to sheets of plastic bought from Lowe’s.

I wish this site was easer to post pictures. I have a crap load.
Kckalden
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Previous

Return to Travco 270